Here is my list of what I consider to be essential books that anyone teaching the game design unit should have on their bookshelves:
- A Theory of Fun for Game Design by Raph Koster
- The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell
- Game Design Workshop: A Playcentric Approach to Creating Innovative Games by Tracy Fullerton
- Level Up! The Guide to Great Video Game Design by Scott Rogers
- Challenges for Game Designers: non-digital exercises for video game designers by Brenda Brathwaite and Ian Schreiber
In a future post I will go over some of the exercises I do in class with my students for this unit. I'll also link to an on line copy of an essay from a book not mentioned above that I like to use as a great discussion starter with the students.